The Saanich Peninsula features one of the most unique tourism landscapes anywhere in Canada. The proximity to a major and popular urban centre (Greater Victoria) provides ample opportunity for visitors to experience what the Peninsula has to offer, including major tourism venues like Butterfly Gardens, Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre, the world-famous Butchart Gardens, and the BC Aviation Museum. There are also lots of other attractions and things to do such as visit a Winery, shop in some spectacular Retail Stores, or eat in one of many popular, acclaimed Restaurants. The region boasts many fun activities for children and families as well, as this Chamber Blog Post explains. ** See below for more info on what the Saanich Peninsula has to offer you!
Tourism operators face many challenges that can better be addressed collaboratively. However, not only do many people continue to travel for pleasure, but Greater Victoria and Vancouver Island remain popular destinations. Many tourism businesses rely as much on their reputation (and subsequent “word-of-mouth” marketing) as they do on formal advertising. So it’s important to have a venue for networking and collaboration like a Chamber of Commerce. They also face the implications of local bylaws—like signage, street direction, parking, and others.
The Saanich Peninsula Chamber of Commerce aims to work with all stakeholders of the tourism sector to improve the sustainability and competitiveness of the sector.
The Chamber is exploring the following activities along with partners:
- Substantive changes to the Peninsula’s visitor centres (Beacon Avenue, Pat Bay highway, and within the Sidney International Ferry Terminal) that will allow for easier and better dissemination of information to visitors.
- Producing the region’s primary “flat-map” that demonstrates to visitors the unique offerings from across the Peninsula.
- As part of an online “Chamber Market” for the Saanich Peninsula, developing a referral service that allows tourism venders to easily gain and share commissions from partner firms;
- Advocating to each municipality for more effective and responsive bylaws that help rather than hinder local retailers (i.e. flexible signage bylaws, encourage the return of two-way traffic on Beacon Avenue in Sidney, etc.);
- Promoting the Saanich Peninsula as a shopping and tourism destination that is effectively differentiated from Greater Victoria, but still utilizing our unique proximity to popular destinations. (i.e. supporting a regional Brand initiative in partnership with Tourism Victoria);
- Supporting a regional Trolley Project that will better enable visitors to visit multiple tourism partners and shop on the Peninsula.
Best Western PLUS Emerald Isle Motor Inn, and more!
The Saanich Peninsula boasts an endless number of outdoor activities. There are a great number of parks, trails, biking, camping, fishing, golf, kayaking, boating, whale watching, and the list goes on…to meet all of your adventure needs. Looking for someone to organize your trip for you?, then contact TIDES – the island’s destination & event service, they are a great at making your trip unique to your needs.
Want to go whale watching?… Sidney Whale Watching is an amazing company which departs from Sidney
Want to go on a guided kayaking tour? Contact a Paddle in the Park
Or maybe you wanted to charter a yacht with Island Cruising?
Want to go and hang out on a sandspit and maybe have a picnic while you watch marine and bird life?…then hop on the Sidney Spit Ferry
Want to play Golf? Read this blog post about golfing the Saanich Peninsula!
Come enjoy and explore this place we call home, we would love to have you!!